- Everyone is welcome to view the Forums. Only paid members can post. You can certainly join right now if you want!
- Watch this video to learn how to post a question.
- Please ask your questions here (not in email) – we promise to respond.
- If you lead a computer club, or teach others on computers, let us know. We'll add you to a special "Teachers Lounge" forum.
April 1, 2011
I would like to make a dvd of some my picasa pictures to show at a family gathering. My computer can only burn pictures to a CD and the Cd will not play on the TV. So I guess I need to buy an external DVD burner. My internet research has me confused. The sites talk about copying movies with the external DVD burner but don't mention pictures. I just want to copy pictures from Picasa onto on DVD. Any suggestions as to what I need to buy?
You're not alone in your confusion! DVD formats and DVD players (TVs) are not standardized. Usually, when people talk about DVDs – they are referring to movies, like Pirates of the Carribbean or Social Network. If you put one of those movie DVDs into your computer and look at the contents, you will see .VOB files. It is a very specialized format for playing in a DVD player (TV.)
When you burn a disk using Picasa's 'Gift CD' command – you are just creating a data disk. If you look at the contents, you will see .jpg files – pictures. Now … most DVD players will display .jpg files, but not all, and you don't have control over the sequence – or adding music, or timing etc.
So, bottom line, what you need:
1. buy any old external DVD burner. I'm sure some are better than others, but there's nothing special needed – just the ability to burn data to a DVD instead of a CD
2. Create your disk of pictures using something like Windows DVD maker – it will create .vob files so it will play in any DVD player. I have a video on this at:
Hope that helps.
Most Users Ever Online: 69
Currently Browsing this Page:
David Cross: 88
Bob Brown: 76
Barbara Dalderis: 66
S Allan Wilson: 46
Bill Osborne: 45
Jim Bass: 37
Guest Posters: 59
Newest Members: Jeneva Stoffels, Robert Jacobson, Sherry Wasserman, Suzi Gossard, Janice Green, Eleanore Higginson
Moderators: Christine Guld (0), Jim Guld (0), rvnavigator (9)
Administrators: MrGeek (218), MrsGeek (957), Via Email (3), charlyleetham (0)